The Ames International Orchestra Festival (AIOFA) welcomes the return of the Russian String Orchestra in two festival performances as well as educational outreach activities and social engagements. Supported, in part, through local option tax funds provided by the City of Ames through the Ames Commission on the Arts. These performances are made possible, in part, by generous gifts from Rae Reilly and the estate of Peter J. Reilly.
About the Russian String Orchestra
Founded in 1991 as Chamber Orchestra Kremlin, the orchestra is comprised of some of Russia’s finest young string players and has carved a niche for itself under the creative baton of founder Misha Rachlevsky. With highly-acclaimed recordings and mesmerizing concerts, the Russian String Orchestra’s warmth and high energy create addictive performances that stay with listeners long after the last note has been played.
The mini-residency will include:
- Orchestra and Chamber performances
- Lecture demonstrations for elementary students
- Master classes for high school and university students
- Public lectures and social functions
Two shows, two unique programs!
Tuesday, April 28 at 7pm
- Arensky – Variations on the theme by Tchaikovsky
- Wolf – Italian Serenade
- Tchaikovsky – Serenade Melancolique for Violin and Orchestra
- Jeffrey Prater – Longing for Light for string orchestra
- Schumann – String Quartet No. 3 in A minor (in orchestral version)
Thursday, April 30 at 7pm
- Beethoven – String Quartet No. 11, op. 95, “Serioso”
- Tchaikovsky – Elegy in memory of I. Samarin
- Tchaikovsky – Scherzo in c minor, op. 42 (arr. by M. Rachlevsky)
- Strauss – Suite of Waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier
- Piazzolla – Grand Tango for Cello and Orchestra
- Piazzolla – Four Tangos
Marron y Azul
Four for Tango
Melodia en La Menor
Youth, group, and bundle ticket discounts are available in person at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office only.
- Enjoy the Russian String Orchestra with your students, colleagues, or friends! Groups of 10 or more save up to $5 per ticket in select seat locations.
- Elementary, middle school, high school, and Iowa State University students get tickets for just $10!
- Save up to 20% when you purchase a ticket to each performance (Tuesday, April 28 and Thursday, April 30)!